Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Theme of my Song

"For I delight in your commands
because I love them"
-Psalm 119:47
"Your decrees are the theme of my song
wherever I lodge. "
-Psalm 119:54

"Your statutes are my heritage forever;
they are the joy of my heart.

My heart is set on keeping your decrees
to the very end."
Psalm 119:111-112

I used to groan internally when I reached Psalm 119, it seemed such a chore to read through it! :) Obviously my heart was not fixed on enjoying His word - it might have run more to the must-finish-reading-Bible-in-one-year mentality. I'm not sure when He opened my eyes to the beauty in this chapter, (it may have been gradual) but it's now one that I love. Psalm 119 is such a beautiful reminder of how delightful His law and commands are! (Ironically in opposition to my original attitude. :) )

David sees His Lord's commands as a continual source of joy! He sings of the joy in following God's law, delight in His decrees, God's word as the theme of his song. We follow His laws as our duty, yes, but too much focus on duty blurs the delight! His word can be the joy of our hearts, the theme of our song!

Serving a King is not a chore to the servant who has love for his Master - rather, it is his joy to anticipate and fulfill the King's every desire. We find joy in service to our King, and His law itself is an endless source of joy and delight - because it shows us how we can serve Him more.

1 comment:

Stephanie Marie said...

"too much focus on duty blurs the delight!"

I liked that. Good post, Jen!