Sunday, August 12, 2007

Song from the Bog

"Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. I am weary with my crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God." -Psalm 69:1-3

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD." -Psalm 40:3

I love reading these two Psalms together. Psalm 69 is a cry from the mire, anguish from the depths, a plea for soul restoration - eyesight fading while waiting for God. Psalm 40 to me shows the blessed peace and joy reaped from waiting on God even in the midst of these heartrending troubles. Even if our eyes are going dim from waiting for our God, if we continue to wait patiently for Him without loosing heart He WILL restore our souls and put a new song on our lips. A song of praise to our God, our Redeemer, the Lover of our Soul.

The One who is there even in the depths of the slimy icky mud, is also the One who lifts us out of the bog setting us safely on a firm rocksolid foundation. This God, our God, our very present help in trouble. Not only is He our help in trouble, but He is present in our trouble!

Whatever anguish and pain may keep casting us into a bog cannot keep us from safety in Him, as long as we trust and wait patiently He is there to support and save.

And what can our response be other than that of a song of praise to our God?

No comments: