Wednesday, August 15, 2007

He is the Gladness of our Rejoicing

"Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
O God, my God."
-Psalm 43:4

"The final goal of life is not forgiveness or any of God’s good gifts. The final goal of life is God himself, experienced as your exceeding joy. Or very literally from the Hebrew, “God, the gladness of my rejoicing.” That is, God, who in all my rejoicing over all the good things that he had made, is himself, in all my rejoicing, the heart of my joy, the gladness of my joy. Every joy that does not have God as the central gladness of the joy is a hollow joy and in the end will burst like a bubble. "
-John Piper

I love his term, "God, the gladness of my rejoicing." It's beautiful, jubilant, wonderous and mind boggling all at the same time. This God, our God, our Master, our Salvation, our Healer, our Comforter, our Peace, and at the same time our ecstatic joy! What joy there is in serving Him, and simply worshiping at His feet! May He always be your source of joy, and may the gladness of your rejoicing in Him always bubble over!

God bless you. :)

No comments: